Lincoln Maniacs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Local Pictures
red ants EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am by herostime

» life yet
red ants EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:04 pm by mary

» Hi (again)
red ants EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 7:00 pm by mary

» Am I alone and wasting my time?
red ants EmptyMon Aug 02, 2010 6:58 pm by mary

» DontDumpThat
red ants EmptyMon Jun 07, 2010 1:15 am by arkley

» help please
red ants EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:53 pm by mary

» new goals for the year anyone
red ants EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 am by mary

» happy new year
red ants EmptyFri Jan 01, 2010 1:29 pm by mary

» wonder if this site
red ants EmptyFri Dec 25, 2009 8:21 pm by mary

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 24 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:11 am
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Statistics
We have 83 registered users
The newest registered user is karorl

Our users have posted a total of 4896 messages in 835 subjects
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Lincoln Maniacs on your social bookmarking website

red ants

4 posters

Go down

red ants Empty red ants

Post by mary Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:39 am

can any tell me if they know a plant or something natural that we can use
in our garden to get rid of red ants ,we also have black ants and want rid
of them all ,can anyone help with suggestions please.

mary

Back to top Go down

red ants Empty Re: red ants

Post by omega2618 Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:11 pm

There are lots of homemade 'substances' based on boric acid and a sugar solution,Just 'Google' :-'Organic homemade ant killer'. Make sure its a U.K. search.(The Americans use a shotgun!) The solutions mentioned are really for use in the home but I suppose you can use adaptations.
I have massive amounts of ants/nests but am of the opinion to live and let live with creatures outdoors.Oddly enough my resident Pied Wagtails seem to be partial to the odd ant! And the ants seem to be partial to greenfly on my roses!
Happy hunting. Smile

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Just had a quick peek at DDT.OUCH!

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 am

thanks and i would leave them alone if they left my plants alone

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:39 pm

I know you've closed the thread on DDT but I wanted to share some facts I found whilst looking into your ant problem.So I hope you don't mind my posting just one last time.Others may be interested also.
The thing is I got it wrong when I said ants eat greefly and we are wrong in thinking they directly damage plants.
The reason I see ants and aphids on my roses is that they have a bizzare,mutual relationship.Aphids damage plants by feeding off the sap.The ants feed off a sugary syrup secreted by the aphids.(Ants are a bit like humans in their feeding habits enjoying dead flesh and sugary things!).In fact the ants like the syrup so much that they protect the aphids from natural predators and will carry aphids from plant to plant to ensure a good supply of their sugary 'treat'.I think this is why we see ants on our rose trees and plants and thus they are not directly causing harm.
The answer,it seems,is quite simple.Enchorage ladybirds into your garden by planting yellow/orange coloured flowers (such as marigolds) and keep them there by providing over-winter accommodation.Ladybirds feast on aphids and will make short work of any infestation which I think is causing your plants to suffer.Once the aphids have gone the ants won't bother you.
Smile
P.S. To make over-winter accomodation cut up a garden cane into 6 inch lengths and bind them togther as a group.Put the bungle into a sheltered spot.Ladybirds will live in the holes of the canes forming a colony!Come the Spring they will be onto the aphids before the ants know whats hit 'em. flower

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:46 am

thanks i closed the ddt one cause i come on here more often

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:33 pm

when i was woking on sending power to the garage, i had to lift every paving slab, under each slab was an ants nest, red then black then red etc. about 10 of each, and red and blacks fight, soi i assume they didnt know about each other. i of course left them alone (still sent the cable under the slab though!)
combom
combom

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Must admit I didn't know that the two types of ants fought.It does explain a lot though.Someone on DDT said they put talcum powder down.So not only do the ants smell nice, it probably helps when they are putting their boxing gloves on! Laughing

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by combom Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:07 am

if they arent in the house, they arent bothering you, if you disturb them, they may head for ur house Smile
combom
combom

http://lifetheuniverseandcombom.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by coley1 Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:59 am

i leave everything alone. I have ants nests all over the flower beds and I have bees that nest in my garden and so I let my lawn gorw a little more naturaaly. No fortnightly mowing for me. It seems to help the flowers too with so many bees around. I tend to let the clover grow until the flowers are well out so that the bees are already in situ and then mow the garden in the evenings after the bees have gone back to their nests.

Imprtant to note for those who freak out at the idea of bees in their lawn. They are solitary bees and not colonies so you aren't going to be seing swarms. lol

AC
coley1
coley1

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:05 am

i don't mind bees in fact i try to let all nature alone in my garden and try to encourage most things its just seems as if theres too many ants ,i had a very bad experience when i was little with ants and when i see alot like that especially the red ones which bite more ,it scary.
i most likely will leave them alone , thats why i wanted something natural not to kill them just to move them on to someone elses gardens .
the rose i planted died and my sister said it was due to the ants it was really upsetting as it was planted for my mom who passed away 12 years ago ,and it was a special rose

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by omega2618 Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:56 am

Do you have the name of the rose? If you do I will happily source another for you.

omega2618

Back to top Go down

Post by mary Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:13 am

sorry i don't thats why it was so special , it was a deep red ,fragrance one .

mary

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum